Friday, March 30, 2012

Boyfriend Dates a Fashion Student

The last few weeks have been more frustrating and challenging than I ever thought possible for a twenty-something alcoholic day-drinking lover of life. You see I sometimes get a neat idea to become an overachiever, which usually ends in a giant mess of procrastination, perfectionism and french words only my mouth from the south allows me to say. Case in point: I am currently in the process of planning a major fashion show for my college. Boyfriend is currently in the process of avoiding my horrifying stress-induced meltdowns that happen periodically throughout the week. The fashion show is in two weeks and Boyfriend hasn't made eye contact in four. I think it's about time I give him some slack and recognize that it is not easy to date a fashion student. Here are some reasons why:

1.)We like to work...a LOT. The average college student attends four years of university, possibly while working at the local coffee shop to fund cell phone bills. But the average college student does not work a real-life job in their future career until after graduation. Somehow the fashion industry missed this memo, and instead we work as slaves full-time employees interns. The average fashion student attends four years of university, in which time he/she works at least three internships, volunteers for at least ten events, joins multiple clubs/organizations, and holds down a part-time job to fund shopping addictions...all while looking much more fabulous than those students who attend class in sweatpants. This alone leaves very little time for someone like Boyfriend, but add to it the fact that we have a child to care for and Boyfriend can feel downright neglected.

2.)We appreciate the finer things in life. By appreciate I, as a self-respecting fashion student, am in no way implying that I must carry a Louis Vuitton to coordinate with my Louboutins. If I had those items I wouldn't need to go to a school that teaches me about them and Boyfriend wouldn't have to suffer the tragic life of dating a fashion student. Regardless, this can be a challenging feat for men who are not...fashionably inclined. They don't understand why we enjoy browsing in every boutique we will never shop in. Because obviously looking at what some of the most influential names in our culture are creating for the world of fashion is way more boring than watching someone play XBOX for hours on end.


3.) We communicate differently. If you are not a fashion student, please ask one what they thought of [insert designer name here] latest collection and let me know if you understand a word that is said. If you are a fashion student: omg you get how ridic this whole thing is. I DIE. Btw, that skirt is bananas.

4.) We don't usually dress appropriately. Well, this is debatable. We, as worshipers of the Book of Wintor, understand that to be fashionable does not always mean to be comfortable. Boyfriend has, on more than one occasion, expressed frustration for my need to wear "impractical shoes" while walking around The City. I however, live by the same rule as many other fashion students: if it does not compliment my outfit it is no longer appropriate or practical. Okay so maybe, just maybe Boyfriend's logic sometimes prevails and I am forced into submission by way of complaints about sore feet for the duration of our date. I really don't know why this is even on the list.

5.) Some might call us crazy. It is a valid point. After all, you do have to be nuts to choose an industry where you are over-worked, underpaid and selling/promoting/merchandising material items you worship yet won't be able to afford until your body isn't cute enough to wear it. But it is the most glamorous, exciting and challenging industry one could choose to chase after a dream in. If you're on the outside with Boyfriend you won't understand, but if you're on the inside as a learner of this glorious industry you know what I am talking about. We may be completely insane and our industry might seem quite vain, but the world's economy would literally fall apart if the fashion industry did not exist. We're important, and we know it.

Boyfriend has recently taken solace in the fact that the fashion show is almost over with. As the director, I am taking pleasure in the fact that Boyfriend has been extra accommodating lately, probably to avoid another epic meltdown stressing me further. He's learned over the years that pushing the buttons of a fashion student on the edge is a very, very bad mistake. Luckily, since his wardrobe has improved tremendously, Boyfriend finds these points to be tiny in comparison to the benefits of dating a fashion student.




P.s. if you haven't already, please go read last week's post and leave us your comment! Boyfriend and I will be visiting one of your favorite places in The City this week! 

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely understand everything you have mentioned. In fact, I browsed through your various other articles and I think you happen to be completely right. Best wishes with this particular blog.

    Thank You
    www.rnbresearch.com

    ReplyDelete